Translate

Wednesday, August 12, 2020

How To Clean Your Motorbike Helmet

Motorbike Helmet

De-stink your insurance hat! 

If you're anything like me, you put this task off regularly (it's easy to forget about and ignore it, honestly), but it's very easy to take care of.

Motorbike helmets are obviously a necessity. However, all that foam and fabric lining collects a lot of bacteria, mold, sweat, hair products, and just general nastiness, so it's necessary to sanitize and un-gross it regularly.

I spend about 2 hours on my bike on a normal workday (uf da, that was physically painful to type). I admit that I'm a sweaty person, and most of that happens above my shoulders, particularly my head - having the sun beat down on the plastic while I'm driving to my far-away workplace doesn't help at all. The foam lining of my motorbike helmets can get preeeeeetty smelly after a month in the tropical sunshine, and if I get rained on and then have to wear it with wet hair, it gets even worse.

There are two ways you can take care of this minor, but inconvenient, task:

DIY Scrubbing


The pros: it's cheap, and you can do it at your leisure.

The cons: you've got to plan ahead and clean it at a time when you know it has plenty of time to dry (anywhere from half a day to an entire day or more, and that's if you've got access to direct sunlight) - you won't be able to wear it while it's wet.

What you need:
Baking Soda
Fabric Softener
Water
Sponge
Bucket or Sink/Tub/Shower

How to do it:
Put some baking soda in warm water and mix thoroughly. Use a sink or bucket and scrub the liner/foam, rinsing occasionally, until the water comes out clear. After, put a small amount of fabric softener in water and rinse again, then again with clean, plain water. Let dry in direct sunlight. Like I said... it can take a long time to dry. Resist the urge to wear it before it's totally finished!



Take It To a Shop


Your second option is, in my opinion, your best bet. There are a few shops that specifically clean the insides of helmets. I go to iWash in District 10, because there's a kem bo (avocado ice cream) place next to it. (...I am a simple man. Judge me as you wish.)

iWash - 268 Tô Hiến Thành, Phường 15, Quận 10, HCMC



Motorbike helmet cleaning machine

Helmet cleaning prices

Helmet cleaning shop

The pros: they wash and completely dry it in about 20 minutes, and it smells GREAT.

The cons: you have to go there, and it's anywhere from 15-70k. However, they have a machine that drys your helmet super fast, and I find the convenience worth it. No waiting for the elusive sun to hit it just right, or leave it where it might rain.

iWash is also nice because it's right next to a Big C supermarket and several cafes and shops - they even have a waiting room with complementary snacks. I don't mind going and sitting in a cafe with some coffee and avocado ice cream every so often.


Whichever you do, it's best not to neglect this basic sanitation task. I must admit, I, personally, forget about it except for when I'm taking the helmet on or off, and after that my mind just kind of discards the thought - I have to put a reminder in my calendar.

Enjoy your clean and good-smelling helmet again, and drive safely! Got another helmet cleaning service? Please, for the love of god, let me know in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. This is a topic I would never have thought about, Ben. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for speaking up! :) - Ben