Translate

Monday, November 4, 2013

Someone Punch a Hole In My Creativity Card

This might be the most Vietnamese thing I've done since I've gotten here, sadly.

Was it eating beef noodle soup on a stool on the sidewalk? Nope.
Was it learning to smile all the time, for any reason? Not even.
Was it staying out late in Bui Vien? No (and that's not particularly Vietnamese).

It was this atrocity of functionality:


Good heavens, look at this nonsense. Someone take away my official handycrafts card.
Faced with the desire to have a higher wardrobe, I went the DIY route. Got some discarded bricks from a refuse heap (not hard to find), emptied my wardrobe, placed those little metal ball feet in those silly little holes, loaded it up with books, my printer, and extra weight, and presto. Doesn't move around at all. Totally steady, and 14" higher, for free.

Add a plant and it's almost picturesque. Except for the purple color, of course.
I feel remarkably adaptable today! Can you believe I'm actually a pretty good carpenter? This wouldn't have even entered my mind - it's ugly. But when faced with the difficulty of finding pretty much anything I need here (lately it's been paint chips and baking powder - I'm fairly positive they don't exist in HCMC), the DIY approach becomes much more appealing.

Bam. That's how it's done... apparently.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. The plant brings the whole thing together. hahaha

      Delete
  2. Is this seriously stable??? I mean, as your mother, my first concern is your welfare. It looks like your pillow in the picture, indicating that your head is on the end of the bed adjacent to the questionably stable wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, stable as a table! Doesn't move at all now that I wedged my printer and books up there. The weight also helps stabilize it. And don't worry, my bed is just messy. :) I put my head at the other end.

      Delete

Hi! Thanks for speaking up! :) - Ben