Translate

Sunday, November 10, 2013

Mexican Food, First Attempt

I couldn't resist that bite - I had to know!
My absolute favorite breakfast is Mexican chorizo and onions, scrambled with eggs, with sautéed peppers and cheese on a hot tortilla. So you can imagine the ideas that sprang to mind one recent Friday as I was grocery shopping and found CHORIZO.

This was my attempt to make my favorite Mexican breakfast, including my own homemade tortillas with chorizo, onions, peppers, eggs, and
cheese.

See how I fared at my first-ever attempt at tortilla making after the jump!



That coke bottle full of water was my first
attempt at a rolling pin. Fail.
So, as always, the hardest part of this whole ordeal was finding what I needed to make the food. This is a constant problem here.

Today's mystery ingredients: baking powder and lard. Absolutely no where to be found.

I mashed a couple tortilla recipes together to compensate (I hoped) for the lack of ingredients. I subbed oil for the lard and set aside the dough for an hour in a covered pot to try and compensate for the baking powder.

Next problem: the chorizo. As expected, it was a solidly cooked tube of Spanish chorizo (Mexican chorizo comes in a long case and is raw, and quite oily). I peeled off the casing and began to mash it up into a bowl with my fingers.

Because there was a lot less oil in the chorizo, I started sautéing the onions alone first. I hoped the meat would break down a little bit due to the slight fatty deposits. BTW: there is only one way to cut onions for this dish: slice off the tops and bottoms and then divide the onion into 4 or 8 sections from the top down. Wedges, not rings.

Just looking at this stuff makes me want to go down and try again.
I also got a red and green pepper started on the stove, giving them a healthy dose of cumin (I found cumin here!!) and garlic salt.

Adding the chorizo to the onions resulted in a bit of the oil and seasonings flavoring the onions, but not as much as I hoped. There was a bit too much oil in the bottom so I got rid of some and let the meat do its work.

After finishing these the meat/onion and peppers, I wiped out the pans and got to work on the dough. I divided it into 24 balls and smashed them flat (about 7" wide) on a marble surface. I found extra flour on the surface was a little icky.

Ahhhh... Mexican food, how I took you for granted!
One by one I draped them in the super-hot skillets and in no time had a stack. The first couple weren't that great, but I got a little better. Of course, there were some casualties of inattention - not all of them made it out unburnt!

They were mostly pretty good. I'd gotten some mozzarella cheese to cut up and it gave them a missing creaminess. I forgot about making eggs after this long process, so I'll have to add them in next time - I think they would have made it better. Everything was a tad bit oily... I'll have to drain things better next time, and I know I added too much oil to the dough.

But all in all, pretty satisfying breakfast, and it's always awesome to make a mess and cook something new!

I'm going to have to work on this tortilla recipe, though... this tortilla-desert I'm in is totally unsustainable. ;)

2 comments:

  1. mean while, I just burnt my delicious banh mi.Damn it, that chorizo looks hella fine.How much did you pay for it ? Vietnamese market doesn't stock these well and even if they are, they've been sold at ridiculous price :(. Aside from that, I think you can find almost any baking related pretty easily.Like at District 1 and District 7.

    My first attempt at making tortillas was not bad.You don't have to use lard to make it though.Now it kinda makes me craving some vietnamese bbq pork with some freshly grilled tortillas hhmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! The chorizo is actually spanish chorizo (unlike the more oily, fatty mexican-style) that I chopped up fine and fried a little - it wasn't the same, but it was pretty good!

      Your idea for VN BBQ Pork on freshly grilled tortillas... WOAH. I'm ALL ABOUT THAT.

      Delete

Hi! Thanks for speaking up! :) - Ben