Translate

Monday, October 29, 2018

Ba Be Lake, North Vietnam

The best trip I've ever had in Vietnam?

Definitely the Ha Giang Loop in the North. Spectacular views, uninterrupted beauty, crisp air... and only a few dozen kilometers through 6 inches of mud (can't believe I didn't wipe out in that junk, what a miserable stretch of construction). 

My cuzbro Chris and I went in the off season, so we had a day of miserable rainy driving and a few scattered downpours over the rest of it. Still... it was the ride of a lifetime... so far.


My cousin and I took a rather unorthodox trip around the Ha Giang Loop, in that we were riding clockwise from Hanoi to Dong Van to Ha Giang to Sa Pa, without a guide (my favored way to go on motorbike trips, now that I can speak a little Vietnamese).

Check it out after the jump!


Our first stop was Ba Be Lake, north of Hanoi.



We stayed at Ba Be Lake View Homestay, and we couldn't have felt more welcome. After a long first day on the road, and more than a few stops to check the maps, it was great to finally get off our bikes and stretch and relax.


The family provided us with a homecooked meal and we made a few German friends over endlessly refilled shot glasses of fermented corn alcohol, brewed by the family. They were ridiculously entertained by my crummy Vietnamese, but I think it was ok. (My southern Vietnamese accent is largely useless in the north, or at least it was at this time.)


Our mystery meat of the evening was (and I think they quite enjoy this little joke) monkey! They let us know after we ate it. Fresh monkey - I can't say I'd ever had it before, and I've never seen it again in the years following this trip.


This is a fantastic place to cool you heels on your journey. There are caves, waterfalls, and the lake to explore. The locals are friendly and helpful. Check it out!




Stay tuned: more Ha Giang Loop adventures to come!

1 comment:

Hi! Thanks for speaking up! :) - Ben