Translate

Monday, December 16, 2013

Psycho Asian Comfort Food: Sweet Sriracha Pancakes with Maple Soy Dipping Sauce

I'm trying to figure out what the line down the center of this picture is... 
Man, cravings! Sometimes they hit, and you can't be held responsible for what happens when you satisfy those needs.

It was recently One Of Those Nights, and I was feeling hungry and kitchen-adventurous. Talk about cravings - here's all my cravings, rolled into one weird little dish that was fun to make and eat.

The pancakes don't have any further butter on them. I used my fingers to rip them up and dip a little bit in the sauce I made. I suppose you could pour it on, but a little goes a long way, in my opinion.

That said, if you've got a good twist on this for my next pancake outing, holler back! Aito thought maybe bacon in the pancake would be good. I must agree with him - perhaps next time. (UPDATE: IT WAS GREAT).

Read on for my "recipe" and some pictures!

Sweet Sriracha Pancakes with Maple Soy Dipping Sauce
(which is a real thing that I just typed)

Ingredients:

Pancake mix
1 tablespoon sugar
Sriracha or other Chili Sauce
Butter (1/2 tablespoon per two small pancakes seemed about right)
1/3 cup Maple Syrup
Soy Sauce to taste

Mix up some pancake mix (I used a box mix, because I still can't find baking powder). I added a little bit of
sugar to offset the chili sauce. Make sure you've got enough butter in the pan. Add the chili sauce and
cook to a golden brown on both side.

Maple "Syrup" and Soy Sauce turned out to be a flavor power-up -  I recommend
starting with the syrup and adding soy to taste. Mine was a bit too salty.

Make sure there's enough butter for the second side. The chili sauce does a crazy thing - it leaves these little
crevices where it was. Very flavorful.
A stack of the little sugary-spicy babies.

I ended up ripping them apart and dipping them into the sauce. 
Cravings: BANISHED. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. this is genius.

    Also do you remember that warm cereal we got sometimes when we were kids, and it came with a packet of some sort of red gel-frosting/jam substance that you got to squeeze on top into pretty patterns? That's what those pancakes look like.

    LOVE YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Next time I'm adding bacon or blueberries!

      Those cereals were pretty great - but what was that gel substance?!?

      Delete
  2. hmmm, are your childhood memories faulty? or are my old-age memories the problem? Maybe it's neiter... I don't recall any "warm cereal with red gel" at my house! Maybe at your dad's?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was like cream of wheat with a little packet of goo-frosting - I tried finding some pictures online, but I couldn't. Maybe Lex and I are having a shared hallucination!

      Delete

Hi! Thanks for speaking up! :) - Ben