Translate

Saturday, November 2, 2013

The Genius of Traditional Vietnamese Hats

I only just realized:
Traditional Vietnamese Hat
=
UMBRELLA

+

POLLUTION MASK

+

SUN PROTECTION


Rain? NO PROBLEM!
Sun? THAT, TOO!
Pollution protection? OF COURSE!
Fashion? SURE, WHY NOT?!

Some Vietnamese don't even take the plastic wrap off their hats - these things are impervious! I've also learned that the fancy fabric tassels that keep them on their heads are not usually there right away - they're added after because the original straps are so uncomfortable. In the city the fabric is extended up over the mouth, and sometimes nose, to protect against pollution. Ingenious - as you all know I'm a big fan of intelligent, organic design, and this is so intuitive it took me four months to figure its true genius out. 

LOVE IT.

Fascinating! Tradition wins again.

Just needed to share this sudden realization I had when I was on my bike today.

Great story, tell it again, more singing and dancing.

4 comments:

Hi! Thanks for speaking up! :) - Ben