Translate

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Teaching Update: August

It's been a whirlwind August so far, and I can't believe it's almost half over! This was the month that I started teaching. It was momentous for me. Baby steps toward your 20-year goals, Ben, baby steps!

My new work location.
First up I got to sit in on a class in a private high school where they are holding classes over the summer. The class size was nowhere near what I've been told I'll have to handle in my public school classrooms, but I've heard that the students in private schools are more unruly and worse students, so there's that. We'll have to see. It was a good experience to be able to see a teacher interact with students, regardless, although apparently they were very subdued because they didn't know why I was there. No problem, Thursday afternoon English teacher. You're welcome!

My first actual experience in front of a class happened at the beginning of the month in a language school in Bien Hoa, a city about an hour away from HCMC. Five other teachers and I rode the bus to get there and I taught 5 classes consecutively, from about 3:15-7:45 on a Saturday night. It was perfect for getting my feet wet in a VN classroom, although this, too, will prove to be very different from my public school gig. Class sizes ranged from 10-18 and my kids were ages 10-12. Because this was a language school, it's where the students come after their regular classes or on the weekends to learn English only. I had a number of great classes, and my in-class VN teachers (there to translate instructions or help me discipline if needed) were mostly awesome and helpful. I'll continue to teach here until the end of August. It's nice because the curriculum is laid out already and I have very minimal prep to do - only Speaking and Listening, just the same as my future PS job.

I started teaching some individuals one-on-one Business English. These are mostly adults looking to refine and polish their language skills in anticipation of some job event they have upcoming - presentations, conference calls, interviews and the like. A great and interesting (and lucrative!) side job that requires comprehensive and inventive curriculum planning skills. It's quite rewarding.

I also started donating some tutoring time to some young students who can't afford to go to language schools. We're working from an ancient textbook, but it comes with great homemade food and a chance to learn more about the people here firsthand, especially the special challenges of being poor in Vietnam. I look forward to expanding this part of my teaching world.

Finally, my full time job. Initially, I signed a contract that said I would be starting in the public schools on September 5th. Through a very frustrating misunderstanding, I'll now be starting this upcoming Tuesday, August 20th, almost three full weeks early. I'm not especially happy about it, because I have to rearrange an ungodly amount of individual lessons with my students and my own tutor, as well as cancel my trip to Cambodia AGAIN, but I might as well get it over with and take the plunge. I'll have 35-40 kids per class, a home teacher to discipline and translate, and will be focusing on Speaking and Listening, just like in the Language School in Bien Hoa.

I have no idea what this upcoming school year will bring. Certainly there will be challenges and unforeseen problems, but also hopefully a gratification and joy that can only be found by successfully transferring a piece of knowledge to another person. I've enjoyed the teaching that I've done so far, even though I'm pretty sure I have no idea what I'm doing and I'm just really good at smiling and laughing.

Hopefully that whole 'confidence' thing will be forthcoming, too. :)

Stay tuned for a (no doubt dramatic) entry about my first day, coming next week!

4 comments:

  1. Brother,
    this is amazing. and I have questions.
    1) how were the fellow english teachers that you went out to the language school with? you mentioned your in-class teachers but not them. any potential friends in the mix?
    2) How are you organizing your volunteer time? are you working through a third party, posting signs, asking neighbors...? I'm especially fascinated by this aspect of your work. Sounds like a super rewarding and satisfying immersion of sorts.


    you're the best.
    xo
    l

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possible Nephew,

      1) They were great: One UK guy that sounds like Michael Caine, an Aussie named Alexis (I KNOW!), a girl from the Chech Republic, a woman from South Africa, and a guy from Kansas. They're pretty cool. I haven't gotten any of their numbers or hung out with them, but I intend to.

      2) I'm mostly volunteering through the people that personally help me out. If they're cool, I ask them if they have kids that need to learn English and then we set up times together. I've also looked for opportunities through the association that owns my house, and I'll be starting in an orphanage next week.

      Delete
  2. This is awesome, sounds like you've really taken a plunge! And how cool is it that you're giving away tutoring to kids who can't afford it? That's some good juju right there. Keep making magic!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thanks for speaking up! :) - Ben